Tuesday, March 01, 2005

It has been a while..well over a year since I visited these pages. Well...here I am again. Only this time from a completely different continent from where I wrote last. Those of you who are unaware of my travels, I have been recently transferred to the UK based out of Oxford. Still with ACNielsen.

So here I am in cold and grey England. The transition from 25' C to almost freezing temperatures in a matter of just a few hours left me ..well, cold. George who received me at Heathrow in his gleaming BMW made up for it, at least in part, by his warmth, smile and pleasant albeit a bit nosey conversation through the 45 minutes drive to Oxford. George epitomises the 64+ middle class life style in England. I learnt that he had retired and now, after having scaled down his life style, worked part time for a limousine service and spent the rest of his time, and money, traveling the world and savouring 'coffee and sunsets in varying climes'. He was quick to mention that it had been frightfully chilly the past week and snow at this time of the year was highly unusual. These are supposed to be shoulder weeks when people prepare to welcome spring which is, at least as far as tradition dictates, only three weeks away. As a matter of fact, it hadn't snowed in Oxford for two years until last night. As I tuned into BBC in my hotel room, I learnt that back in Dubai, Tim Henman, the poster boy of British tennis lost in a rain interrupted match at the Dubai Tennis open. Rain in Dubai! That too 7 times during the course of one match...there is something really strange about global weather.

You will notice that I am already beginning to acquire the all pervasive English preoccupation with the weather. I am beginning to understand why.

Leaving Dubai after all these years was heart rending. While a spate of farewells left me very tired, I was overwhelmed by the outpouring of affection. All of it was stunning and as I write, I am exhausted but very very grateful for all the friends I have.

In the middle of all this, I am also trying to shake off a flu I acquired recently so am not feeling supremely agile (sprightly... as they say in these parts) and with the cold weather to boot, it is best perhaps to lie low in the warmth of some central heating and some great memories. Work starts on Monday and a new chapter begins in my life which has had some very interesting surprises over the years. It is a huge challenge and I must admit, I am a bit anxious. Whatever happens, I shall do my best and accept the outcome with gratitude and a smile. Will need all your good wishes.

And of course, will keep writing without much expectation of a reply but in the belief that you will read my ramblings in these pages and somehow, despite our otherwise busy lives- and at times inadvertantly, stay connected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home